background

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mentor Texts

Every year my summer break includes plenty of hours spent napping, relaxing on the deck, long walks around the lake, and soaking up the sun.  I also cross a few professional books off of my summer reading.  These books help me to gather some new and creative ideas for the upcoming school year.

This summer I have been focusing my professional reading on learning more about how to teach writing lessons using mentor texts.  Two of the books I have been reading are:

Mentor Texts: Teaching Writing Through Children's Literature, K-6
by Lynne R. Dorfman & Rose Cappelli

I Can Write Like That! A Guide to Mentor Texts & Craft Studies for Writer's Workshop, K-6
by Susan Ehmann & Kellyann Gayer

In the fifth grade, students focus on three writing projects: a personal narrative, a persuasive writing piece, and an expository writing piece.

I have found a few great anchor charts and other resources  that I am planning to use while introducing each of the pieces of writing. 

(Click on each of the pictures to learn more from the website where I found these awesome ideas)

 
Persuasive Writing Resources:

Picture 7Pinned Image  

Personal Narrative Writing Resources:


Pinned Image  Pinned Image

Expository Writing Resources:

Pinned Image   

~ Mrs. Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment